Effective Communication with Visual Design
This page provides information about best practices in the design of tables, charts and presentations.
Resources from AAUDE members
- Extreme Makeover: PowerPoint Edition - Season 2 - Prepared by Mary Harrington (Mississippi), Rebecca Carr (AAUDE) and Mona Levine (Maryland) for the AIR Forum in June 2013.
- Extreme Makeover: PowerPoint Edition - Prepared by Mary Harrington (Mississippi), Rebecca Carr (AAUDE) and Michelle Broderick (Toronto) for the AIR Forum in May 2011 and June 2012.
- Data Display and Effective Communication through Visual Design: Tables and Charts - Prepared by Rebecca Carr (AAUDE) and Mary Harrington (University of Mississippi) for the Achieving the Dream Strategy Institute in February 2011.
- Twelve Tips for Creating Effective Presentations - Prepared by Rebecca Carr (AAUDE) and Mary Harrington (University of Mississippi) and published in the eAIR newsletter.
Consultant in the design of simple displays for effective analysis and communication. His site, Perceptual Edge, provides visual business intelligence for enlightening analysis and communication.
Garr Reynolds is a consultant and author who is concerned with design, marketing and branding, and effective communications of all kinds. His site provides tips on effective PowerPoint presentations, including this handout.
Tufte is a lecturer and author of many books on visual presentation of data and design principles.
Which chart or graph is right for you? Tell impactful stories with data (Tableau Software)
Complex Diagrams, Noah Illinsky’s blog “for observations, ruminations, rants, and critiques of diagrams, interfaces, visualization, metaphor, and information design”
- Slide makeover podcast (Think Outside the Slide)
- "Conference Sessions Do Not Have to Suck" (Eric Stoller, Inside Higher Ed, 3/30/2012)
- "No, You Can't Have My Slides" (Eric Stoller, Inside Higher Ed, 11/16/2011)
- Before & After Magazine YouTube Channel
- An excellent example of data display: Han Rosling's 200 Countries, 200 Years, 4 Minutes via YouTube.